Sunday, January 8, 2017

2017 Grand World Voyage, Day 105, Santa Marta, Colombia (Part 1 of 2)

We made our first port stop on this 2017 Grand World Voyage, Santa Marta, Colombia…..  I went to my normal position on Deck 6 forward for the sail in and….  Had a bit of a mishap.  The combination of a slippery wet deck, high winds and lack of proper care on my part, ended up with taking a major spill, coming away with an extremely painful right hip and elbow, other body parts hurt as the day wore on…  But, not to be deterred, I kept taking photos and proseeded with the dy’s plan to explore Santa Marta.  Santa Marta, founded in 1525, is the oldest city in Colombia, and South America……  My kind of place!  Ann, Cathy & I hopped on the shuttle to get out of the port and begad our walk about, heading for the markets…  Along the way, we stopped at the Simon Bolivar Plaza where the local people were enjoying a Saturday morning at the park.  Along the way, I found countless photo stops of people going about every day life, great stuff!  We took a breat at a local CafĂ© across from the Cathedral and spotted our good friends Ian & Carole, who joined us for some refreshments and WiFi.  The five uf us then continued the walk about, heading back to the Malecon alonfg the beach, through countless shops and eventually back to the ship.  It was a scorching day (better than being in the blizzard back home) but a day I thouroughly enjoyed, despite the pain….  I took the night off, skipped cocktail hour and dinner and relaxed with some wonderful pain killers…..  But the blog must go on, up early to post then more than likely back to bed….  This blog is in two parts, this is part 1.  Took too many photos, obviously didn’t hurt my camera finger…..

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment