Monday, June 20, 2016

Old Quebec City, Quebec Canada


Ann, Cathy and I left Gananoque early this morning for a five hour drive to Quebec City, one of North America’s oldest settlements.  Quebec is the only fortified city north of Mexico. It’s a very picturesque city and  Old Quebec has been designated as a UNESCO World Heritage.  We walked the cobblestone streets, with 17th- and 18th-century stone houses and soaring church spires, with the splendid Château Frontenac towering above it all. This city reminded me of the years I lived in Europe with its bistros, sidewalk cafes and manicured squares. The main focus of our visit was the Old Town, perched above the St Lawrence River on the Cap Diamant cliffs. We walked the Dufferin Terrace and sections of the city's walled  fortification. We climbed to the Citadel to see the vast Plains of Abraham, where the British defeated the French in 1759. This was my first visit to Quebec City and hopefully, not my last....
 

2 comments:

  1. These two posts are a treat!! Fantastic photos of one of my fav areas of Canada!

    Hope the sisters will be joining you on HAL again this and next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right Jeff, Quebec est magnifique. I am a little partial because this is where I was born and lived for 25 years. Thank you for the nice pictures.

    ReplyDelete